The Main Line

The History of Main Line Philadelphia

In 1828, the Pennsylvania legislature authorized the construction of the railroad between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. This was known as the "Main Line" of the Public Works system. This, in turn, caused the development of the surrounding area.

After the Civil War, track improvements were sought and new station houses were erected to include more stops along the line. In recognition of the heritage of the areas along the rail line, many stations were given English and Welsh names, such as Narberth, Ardmore and Bryn Mawr.

Many changes were made to the rail route and so the Commonwealth purchased lots surrounding the rail line with stipulations on setbacks and improvements to the land next to the station houses. In Bryn Mawr, it stated that the building of "hotels, taverns, drinking saloons, blacksmiths, carpenter or wheelwright shops, steam mills, tanneries, slaughterhouses, skindressing establishments, livery stables, glue, candle or starch manufactories, or other buildings of offensive occupation" was prohibited.

The result was "a complete picture of suburban comfort and elegance with wide avenues and roomy and open ornamental grounds, spacious lots for building and homes of more than ordinary architectural tastes." These new homes served as the summer residences for many affluent families. The Main Line was now established. The Pennsylvania Railroad promoted this area in brochures describing the "opportunities provided by the railroad for 'summer sojourns' away from the city and the desirability and convenience of suburban living."

The success of the Bryn Mawr development encouraged A.J. Drexel and George Childs to build the area surrounding the Wayne Train Station. Over the next decade, 150 new homes were built. This planned community had its own electric system and "was the second town in America to have electricity in every home."

The Devon area was next. A large hotel—the Devon Inn—was constructed to attract summer visitors. Developers Lemuel Coffin and Joseph B. Altemus purchased the land and wanted to build on the success of the previously built Resort Hotel in Bryn Mawr (now the Baldwin School).

Image

Main Line Facts

From the 1880's to the 1890's, improvements were made to the highway between Philadelphia and Paoli. This was known as Lancaster Avenue. This would add to the accessibility and convenience of the Main Line area. New schools were built, libraries, places of worship and fire and police departments were established to accommodate the growing population. The original farmlands were now transformed into the prestigious Main Line, with all the unique neighborhoods listed below.
  • Ardmore - Named for a small town on the Atlantic Coast of Ireland.
  • Bala - This Welsh terms means Where the River Flows From Lake.
  • Berwyn - Name of a mountain range in Wales.
  • Brewertown - During the Civil War, J&P Baltz Brewing Company operated on 31st Street near Thompsons. The actor, W.C. Fields wrote that Philly was "a great town of breweries."
  • Bryn Mawr - Welsh for Great Hill. Named after his ancestral home by Roland Ellis of Wales.
  • Conshohocken - This means either Pleasant Valley or Long, Fine Land as described by the Native Americans.
  • Cynwyd - Another Welsh term for Lively and Ferocious.
  • Daylesford - Named for a tourist resort in Australia.
  • Devon - Named for a tourist resort in England.
  • Gladwyne - Originally called Merion Square by Quaker settlers in 1682, the name was changed in 1887 by the Lower Merion Post Office which borrowed the name from a nearby Reading Railroad freight station.
  • Haverford - Welsh meaning The Goat's Ford.
  • King of Prussia - In honor of King Frederick, the Prussians built a brewery here.
  • Kinsessing - Described as a "place where there should be a meadow" by native Americans.
  • Lemon Hill - This is the location of a Fairmount Park mansion that had been purchased by Henry Pratt. He filled the greenhouse with lemon trees.
  • Manayunk - Meaning the lands along the Schuylkill River—where we go to drink—Native Americans, the Lenape.
  • Merion - Named for the grandson of a 5th century Welsh prince.
  • Narberth - Welsh for Sacred or Consecrated Place.
  • Paoli - Named for General Pasquale Paoli, a Corsican patriot.
  • Passyunk - This land between the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers was described by Native Americans as "pachsegink" or "pachesegonk" which means A Valley or Between Hills.
  • Radnor - Welsh meaning Red Earth.
  • Rosemont - Named after Joshua Ashbridge's farm, which was borrowed from a Pennsylvania Railroad train station.
  • St. Davids - Patriot saint of Wales.
  • Schuylkill - This Dutch terms means Hidden Stream.
  • Strafford - Named for the Earl of Strafford.
  • Strawberry Mansion - This area was described from the Fairmount Park estate of Coleman Hemphill. He imported strawberry plants from Chile and placed them throughout his estates.
  • Villanova - From the Augustinian College of St.Thomas of Villa Nova.
  • Wayne - Named for Revolutionary War general, Anthony Wayne.
  • Wissinoming - A Native American term for Where We Were Frightened and derived from the Wissinoming Creek. It is unknown as to why the Native Americans were frightened.
  • Wynnewood - Named for Dr. Thomas Wynne's plantation, Wynne Wood.